The Museum housing Thor Heyerdahl’s Kon-Tiki raft was first completed in 1957, initiated by the explorer himself and designed by architect Frithjof Stoud Platou. After years of alterations the entrance area and foyer were cluttered and in need of rethinking. The new solution creates a single-level foyer and shop, reinstating the original ceiling and entrance door. The columns naturally lead visitors around the space. The “tiki-style” elements have been replaced with a cool Nordic palette of colours and materials, with a slight echo of the balsawood raft logs in the table and bench supports.